Monday, July 28, 2008

Diary of a Rogue (15)

Part XV:

I am not normal. Do not ever think that I am normal. Someday I will die doing something unusual. What? I do not know yet but it will be unusual and memorable. My mind has a strange way of working quickly and some say I am brutal. I could have killed the Prince that night as he slept and did some serious pondering in that direction. That would be too easy, however. I wanted to hurt him.

Night fell and with it I came to be a real rogue. I put on my black leather outfit I had put together piecemeal, covered it with a robe, and walked to the Seahorse. I stepped into the dark alley behind the Seahorse and prepared. I pulled the robe off and placed it in my sack, donned my black mask, and checked my leather sap and daggers. I double-checked the small vial, making sure the wax and cork were intact.

My stomach fluttered for a minute as I looked around then it was all business. I climbed the stone wall of the Seahorse easily. I peered into the window of the room I was seeking and saw the Prince sound asleep. His snores were actually loud enough to wake the dead which worked in my favor, this being my first job and all.

I slipped open the window and my padded boot made contact with the floor with no noise at all. Poor Sally lay at his side sobbing. Although I was loathe to do it, I sapped her first. I then sapped the Prince. As they sat there unconscious, I removed the cork from the vial and poured a few drops onto each of their tongues. The sleeping potion would ensure that they both slept till morning. I removed the large golden signet ring from his finger and climbed back to the street below.

No comments: