Sunday, August 3, 2008

Diary of a Rogue (16)

Part XVI:

Now some of you are probably thinking, “Her great revenge was to steal a ring?”
Let me answer that. Yes. However, for you who quickly get bored, I had another plan. To return the ring intact to the place I had stolen it, the finger of the sleeping Prince.

I knocked on Uncle Nico’s door and he let me in without questioning why I was dressed in a robe which was very unusual for me. Uncle Nico isn’t really my uncle, that is the name adopted by the kids of the town for him. He is huge, kind, and more importantly an enchanter. Enchanters use magical components to place enchantments upon common items. For example, my daggers had been enchanted by Uncle Nico to absorb sounds. If I ever had to stab someone I did not want his or her screams bringing more someones. I did not tell that part to Uncle Nico though.

I handed the ring to Uncle Nico, told him the story, and then asked him if he could place a specific enchantment on the ring for me. After hearing what I wanted done and watching him laugh himself into crying for a few minutes he agreed, saying it was a just and simple enchantment that he could do one better. I smiled when he told me his improvement.

I watched Uncle pull some vials and powders off of a shelf. He placed the ring into some mixture, placed his hands over the whole thing and closed his eyes for a minute in what looked to be intense concentration. When he was finished he used tongs to remove the ring from the mess, wiped it off with a towel, and handed it back to me with a wink.

No comments: